The Real Time Web explained with a Real World Example

Last week I gave 2 techtalks (one in Fribourg and one in Zurich) about how we use some of the "Real Time Web" technologies in Flux CMS and its related services. The graph for this looks like that:

Myrealtimeweb-1

And the details to this can be seen in the slides.

I also plan to write some blogposts about some of the technologies used as the blue ones in the graph are written by us and Open Source (see the links at the end of the slides). And I really hope it will end up in more than just a plan :)

If you want to know something in particular before I write those posts, just ask in the comments.

- rss2twi.php - Post your RSS feeds to Twitter with OAuth
- Hands on Twitter Applications with two real life examples
- A Twitter Adapter for Zend_Auth

Bernhard H., 30.10.2009 14:07 CEST

Of cource you know that revcanonical is considered bad and actually hurts the internet?
And there are already much better things:

Chregu, 30.10.2009 16:15 CEST

Hurting the internet? Yeah right :)

But thanks for the hint, I'll change rev=canonical to rel=shortlink in our software soon (or did one agree on something else, the discussion seemed to be a little bit confusing :))

And in my slides, the revcanoncial "box" referred to the http://revcanonical.appspot.com/ service, which supports different formats of that, even rel=shortlink

Phil Leggetter, 30.10.2009 17:10 CEST

Is the only place where Comet is used within the diagram/slides between Friendfeed and the client? Is there anywhere else that you could introduce Comet to push data to web clients?

Chregu, 30.10.2009 17:14 CEST

In my "real world scenario", yes, that's the only place. Of course, Google Reader or any Webbased Twitter Client could also profit of Comet. I don't see a big use case in the other points.

Open, 31.10.2009 12:29 CEST

What program did you use to make that graph?

chregu, 31.10.2009 12:35 CEST

I made the graph with OmniGraffle and our custom Liip shapes.

Martin, 02.06.2011 21:45 CEST

Comet is used within the diagram/slides between Friendfeed and the client!!