Boah, the feedback to my LiveSearch (and keyboard addition) thing was just unbelievable. We had over 3300 visitor on Friday alone (compared to the usual 1500 a day), never so many comments and a lot of people blogged about it. Jeff Menard even made it
more modular and published as well his results.
Didn’t think, that this will make such an impact and therefore we decided to make a little “real” project out of it. I have set up a Wiki Page with some overview and furher information. The page is not really finished and will certainly be expanded, but your contributions are always welcome.
Depending on the feedback, we will provide a Subversion Repository and a Mailinglist for it. Please use the Talk/Discussion page on the wiki for adding comments, suggestions, questions to the project
But now I like to clarify some questions asked in the comments:
* It runs on IE, Mozilla/Firefox and Safari (1.2 only AFAIK). It sometimes crashes Firefox completely, couldn’t figure out why and where…
* I’m not the first implementing that ;) I did see similar stuff before and I’m certainly not claiming to be the inventor of that “technique” (but I’m using XMLHttpRequest since years in the Bitflux Editor)
* Apple did also not invent it, they just inspired me to actually do it .
* Microsoft was the original creator of XMLHttpRequest, the others (Mozilla and Safari) took later their API and implemented it.
* It’s possible to do something similar with iframes, but XMLHttpRequest gives you more possibilities and is more powerful (see the wiki for more info about that)
* It only searches the titles right now, but expanding it to a full text search would be possible. I’d just have to change the SQL query on the server.
Hope to hear more from you and hope it’s useful for others as well.